Wednesday, September 3, 2014

About Face...

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that all my extra money until I am at least 80 is going to my dermatologist in a supreme effort to keep my face looking as smooth as a baby's bottom!

20 years ago, when you went to a dermatologist you went mostly due to medical reasons - maybe you had a rash or perhaps quelle horreur, a bad pimple that you need a cortisone injection for.  Now, you don't go to the derm any more - you go to a dermatologist that works in a "MedSpa" where they have a never ending list of procedures you choose to combat the evil enemy - aging skin!

I started reading fashion magazines when I was in my teens - mostly Seventeen and Glamour.  I was enthralled by the fresh faced beauty of Cheryl Tiegs, Patty Hansen (now married to Keith Richards), and Christie Brinkley.  They were tall, thin and gorgeous and I desperately wanted to be one of them. Alas, at being only 5'4" with size D boobs, that was never going to happen, buy my life long obsession with beauty products was in it's early stages.  When I was 16 or so I purchased my first bottle of Oil of Olay - I still remember the pale pink color and the smell. From that day on, I have had a love affair with products and skin care.  I will admit that I have been blessed by the gods with good skin, but my idea of heaven is being stranded overnight in a  Sephora.

Yes, I will admit I have dabbed my toes into this never ending abyss of lasers and injections.  The Fraxel laser I had last year was an experience in how much pain women endure in the never ending quest for youth.

It started innocently enough.  I went to my med spa - yes, they are not even called dermatologists anymore - for a glycol peel - just something to give me a little glow.  I innocently inquired with the PA about laser technology.  I love being on the forefront of technology and skin technology is no exception.  My PA casually told me that the procedure was really easy and if I did it on a Friday I would be ok to go to work on Monday.

I should have know it was not as easy as all that when they put metal contacts into my eyes after sitting for 45 minutes with numbing cream on my face.  It went very fast and was secretly impressed with myself when PA told me I am handing the pain really well.  When it was all over and they put ice pads on my face and steam rose off of them, I pretty much knew this was serious business.  By the time I got home, my face was the deepest shade of crimson you can possibly imagine and to constantly keep putting ice pads on my face to battle the extreme heat of my face.  In hindsight I will definitely ask for Valium next time.

The redness went down over the next two days, but by Monday I was not looking all that great and really did not want to go to work and have everyone ask me what happened to my face.  By the 3rd or 4th day your skin starts flaking off and you look like you have leprosy due to having new skin in some spots and old skin in others.  During all this time, people at work and on the street are going to wonder what happened to you - just hold your head high and know in a week or so you will look like you just came back from a month in Bali.

This is not me, but pretty much what my face looked like afterwards.




After about 2 weeks you are rewarded with skin as smooth as a baby's bottom.  Not only that, but you are also building collagen to help plump your skin to stave off future sagging.  Win win!

Next up, Restylane under my eyes.  While contemplating another Fraxel treatment (yes, I am a masochist), my PA said she thinks that some Restylane under my eyes to fill up the deep valleys are forming from volume loss.  She showed me before and after pictures of herself and I was sold...it doesn't take much!

One month later, I am back with numbing cream under my eyes and then injections of filler into the "deep pockets" under my eyes. This was obviously not was intense as the laser, but still had black and blue marks under my eyes for about a week. I kept examining my eyes in my magnifying mirror and was not sure I was happy since it looked kind of lumpy to me, but after about 2 week everything smoothed out and I decided I had another addiction.

It's pretty amazing all the things you can do without resorting to surgery, and I firmly believe that after 30 it's all about maintenance and doing little things to help maintain a youthful appearance. Note, did not say look like you're 20 - but as we all know, women are held to a higher standard personally and professionally. After you turn 50 and you start becoming menopausal and the lack of estrogen in your body rapidly speeds up the aging process.   Doing little things definitely makes you look better, and feel better. melissazodicoff@blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment